Tuesday, November 22, 2005

No man is an island

Last week at this time I was walking the streets of London, enjoying the fact that nobody knew who I was (except my flat mate who I went with—but that doesn't count). Sometimes I love being anonymous. I love the freedom that anonymity gives me. There is a thrill in doing what you want when you want with nobody you know around. But let's face it: we're not meant to live anonymous lives. Sure, we can't all be super-star celebrities, but every life is significant and means something. The things that we do and the choices we make have consequences—not only for ourselves, but for others as well. We're not meant to think only of ourselves. We need each other. We're not meant to be alone...

"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne

6 Comments:

Blogger funky_uncle said...

I'm curious what kind of wild stuff you do anonymously.

She's hiding something...

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who say's I do "wild stuff" anonymously? And if I were to do something anonymously--telling you about it wouldn't make it anonymous anymore...

10:36 PM  
Blogger funky_uncle said...

Ah, but I'd be anonymous too, of course...

We could be, like, enormously unanimously anonymous.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he. unanimously anonymous...sounds like a slogan for people with unlisted telephone numbers.

11:35 PM  
Blogger funky_uncle said...

Or a club. Loners United.

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or how about: Join Unanimously Anonymous now and be alone together! We guarantee that you will go completely unnoticed or your money back!

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home